29 April 2011

It Never Hurts to Ask

I'm dedicating this note to the power of positive thinking. No, I've never read 'The Secret,' but apparently I don't need to.
As my birthday/personal-New-Year approaches, I thought it only fit to reflect upon the incredible influence this philosophy has had on the past 11 months of my life.

It Never hurts to ask

Let's rewind to June, 2010. I'm in Paris, and I see that my old friend, Hillary, has posted something about the the Bastille on her facebook. I wondered, 'Could it be that she's in Paris, too?" So I ASKED her, and it turns out she was living there; And this information would completely transform my summer, lead on a trip to Spain, and many other wonderful adventures, as well as rekindle an old friendship. Also Hillary suggests I apply to work at the Sundance Film Festival.

In October, I found out that I'd gotten a volunteer position at Sundance. Hooray, can't wait! Also in October, I wrote this author, named David Shields, an email saying that I liked his book and wondered whether anyone had bought the writes to make it into a movie.

Jumping forward to November and I'm meeting Hillary at her sister's apartment in NYC. Why? Because I knew she was coming home to the States and didn't want to pass up the opportunity to take on New York with the Andujar twins. I simply ASKED her sister if I could stay with them, and what a fabulous trip it was.

Meanwhile, I had also emailed a cousin of mine on Long Island, whom I knew was rather connected to the television industry, and ASKED if I might have a meeting with him. This of course turned into three meetings, 2 of which were with executives at AMC. And when I ASKED them for advice in my career, they both said, "You need to be in L.A!" (Do you see where this is going?)

January comes and I have the absolute time of my life at Sundance. My passion for filmmaking is reignited.

February and David Shields and I are signing an agreement, giving me the rights to his book for one year. I'm excited but don't know where to start so I reach out to a professor at Columbia, and ASK about sitting in on the Adaptation class in LA.

April comes around and I'm getting paid to T.A. in the adaptation class. Everyday I'm meeting real, professional, screenwriters and filmmakers, and making new friends. And now I've ASKED a few people to pass along my resume. We'll see where that goes. I have an inkling.

Just last week, I ended up at Coachella because I thought, What the hell, let's try to get in (And my friends were very encouraging). On the second day, I saw a woman handing out wristbands near the VIP entrance by the Main Stage. I ASKED to have one, and moments later, Mikayla and I were backstage, at the Arcade Fire show, throwing illuminated balls at the crowd, laughing, next to the lead singer of Mumford & Sons.

All year long, I've been very deliberate about taking an active role in the course of my life.

My point is that you should start asking for things. Send that email. Ask for that interview, that date, that wristband, that book option. Take a chance, take a trip, go after the things you sit around and tell people you want.

Sasha told me on the phone recently that she's getting nervous about going into the Peace Corps. But in the same sentence she also said, "I can't see getting to the place I want to be in my life without doing this first." Evaluate your priorities, decide how much you're willing to sacrifice, and take whatever little baby steps you can think of to go in the direction of your dreams. If you think this sounds cheesy, then good luck to you.

A Jack Johnson song came on the radio the other day and he said, "Don't let your dreams be dreams."

Try it out. I'm telling you...


...It never hurts to ask.